Sunday, May 30, 2010

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate


There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.


Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.


Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

-

Plot: 4/5
Creativity: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Impact: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Dark and dazzling, Fallen was a book I thoroughly enjoyed.

When I first picked the book up, I did not know what it was about. I didn't read any of the summaries online, and the bookflap only revealed so much. Basically, I plunged into the story without really knowing what it was going to be about. Much to my surprise, I was still not in on the secrets of the characters until the middle of the book- the story was mysterious and compelling, and I found myself asking so many questions. I really liked that, because it kept me reading. I was dying to find out the elusive answers to the questions I had! Secrets were revealed in the end, but not too much- there were still a lot of details left out, but it works to the book's favor because it only makes readers more eager to pick up the next book.

The gripping story was enhanced by Kate's excellent writing. Her descriptions were vivid, I had a clear image of everything in my mind. The imagery was almost unreal.

The characters were also a well-rounded set. All of them were interesting and as I read on I felt like I was getting to know them little by litte, but there was still some mystery shrouding them. They were well-developed, but by the end of the novel I was still unsure of some of their motives and personalities. Each character was an endless pit of ambiguity, their secrets just waiting to be unleashed.

I really enjoyed Fallen, and it made for a great reading experience. It had spectacular writing, an amazing cast of enigmatic characters, an appropriate setting, and a beautifully complex story (not to mention a stunning cover). I thought I knew how things were going to end, but there were unforeseen curveballs thrown towards the end that completely shocked me. A lot remained unanswered even when the story came to a close, but for some reason the mystery works to the book's favor. Lauren Kate crafted an intoxicating novel, and I will definitely be picking up its sequel

3 comments:

  1. It weird because of all the reviews on this book, it's either hated or loved. And I'm probably the only one who hasn't read it! Nice review:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I loved I as well. There was just something about kates writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a special place in my heart for this book because it was the first book I posted a review for on my blog! I am just stopping by on the Follow Friday Blog Hop! I am a new follower.

    If you get a chance check out my blog http://bringmeanotherbook.blogspot.com/

    I cant wait for Torment. Lauren Kate just posted her tour dates and I am so happy I wont miss her. I am moving from Illinois to LA California in less then a month but her signing is in November for the LA area! I love this series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete