Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Review: Sea Change by Aimee Friedman


16-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.

There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship...and reality.

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?
-
Plot: 4/5
Creativity: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Impact: 3/5
Overall: 4/5

Summery, enchanting and mysterious, Sea Change is an enchanting story about a girl, a boy, an island, and a secret.

What first drew me to read Sea Change was actually the cover. I was looking through a bookstore, planning to get something else, when I saw it sitting on a shelf, looking pretty and wonderful. I immediately dropped the other book and went for it. Who could resist such an amazing cover?

Luckily, a jaw-dropping cover isn't the only thing this book has going for it. The story is intriguing and full of secrets, so it's bound to keep the readers interested. The character of Miranda is also spunky, and she's someone that's easy to relate to. When I read a book, it's important that a character feels genuine and realistic, and Miranda is just that. Leo's also another character readers are sure to enjoy- mysterious and charming. Though there is a romantic element in the story, some readers may want a little more. I was fine with it, though, because I really enjoyed the story, and I wanted to find out about the secrets of Selkie Island just as much as I wanted to read about Miranda and Leo's budding romance.

Characters and story aside, I'd have to say the best part of this book is the writing. It's mesmerizing, beautiful, thrilling, everything a reader could want. I loved Friedman's words, her imagery was so crisp, I really felt the warmth of summer while reading Sea Change.

A beautifully-written mysterious book about one unforgettable summer, Sea Change is a great read no matter what season. It is a bit open-ended and some readers may not be very happy with that, but that didn't taint my opinion of the novel. It only made it better, because it left me with so many possibilities.

2 comments:

  1. This book is on my tbr list and I am looking forward to read it! Glad to hear that it's a fantastic book and that the main character is spunky. :) Like that. Also the cover is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't read this book yet, nor have I read any blogger reviews of it, so now I'm a bit intrigued. :-) The cover is gorgeous, as you said, and I like the idea of a summer read told on an island of secrets. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete