Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Review: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater


For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.
-
Plot: 5/5
Creativity: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Impact: 5/5
Overall: 5/5
I've heard a lot of good things about Shiver. Beautiful, compelling, romantic- it was amazing that one book could trigger such positive feedback. Even one of my friends who hardly ever reads told me she was head over heels for it! So naturally, I had to read it.

Expecting it to be as wonderful as everyone said, I got myself a copy and began my journey into the book. Honestly, I did not see what was so great about it. It was nice, yes, and it was interesting, and it was beautifully written and I liked it, but I was expecting a little more. I expected to be blown away, but I wasn't. Then, I got to the middle of the book and I began to understand what the hype was about. Before I knew it, I was drawn into the complicated yet magnificent relationship of Grace and Sam. And there was no turning back from there. When I reached the middle, I read and read until I reached the very end.

I don't know why it took me so long to see how beautiful this book really is. Maybe it's because I kept reading other novels in between and I kept putting it down so I didn't get into it until I finally read it uninterruptedly. Whatever the reason is, it doesn't matter now, because I am totally in love with Shiver.

The story involves a complicated love story between Grace and Sam, a werewolf, but it's deep and moving and unwavering. Their bond, their connection, is so strong, they're willing to do whatever it takes to be together. Their chemistry is on fire, but at the same time they're friends that have honest conversations, and I really liked that balance in their relationship. Other aspects of the story were equally as gripping. The mystery of the wolves combined with the strange occurances in Mercy Falls are sure to command the readers' attentions.

Shiver is also beautifully written. Maggie Stiefvater's words are just magical, gorgeous. The imagery is clear and crisp, and the emotions are well-portrayed. The story's told in the alternating points of view of Grace and Sam, and both feel authentic, real, believable. While reading, I became Grace. I became Sam. I felt every emotion surging through the characters. I was also particularly fond of the fact that there was a lot of lyrics in the book, all of which were divine and poetic.

Jaw-dropping and heart-wrenching, Shiver is a superb romance that transcends the boundaries of love. With its exquisite prose and gripping plot, it's everything I wanted in a read, and I totally regret ever thinking otherwise.

11 comments:

  1. Great review! My journey through Shiver was similiar to yours ... I almost lost it a bit in the beginning, but by about the midway through, I'd been swept up into it. Maggie's writing is absolutely beautiful ... I liked it even better than Lament ... and I really liked Lament! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the same way reading this book. For some reason it also took me a while to get fully into the book, but by the end I ended up loving it. I can't wait to read Linger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to pick this up again. I read so many wonderful reviews that I picked it up, but just kept putting it down because I couldn't get into it. Maybe I need to give it another try since I'm finding others who struggled to get into it, but ended up loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! I'm glad you liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gonna have to get my hands on a copy of this! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! Shiver...I loved this book! I really need to read the rest of Maggie S.'s books. Her writing is so beautiful! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay I'm glad you liked it! I just got this so I'm really excited to read it. Thanks for the lovely review :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHH Shiver, beauty to behold...now I understand why blogs name themselves after books that transcend greatness - wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree with your review! Shiver is one of my all-time favorites!
    I love your blog and I'm now a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one sounds great; many bloggers have raved about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, great review. I was okay with this book :) but i'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete