Thursday, May 13, 2010

Top Ten Picks (1)

Top Ten Picks is a meme hosted by Jill of Random Ramblings where you make a list of your top ten things for a given category.

This week's category: Books That Made You Discover Your Love for Reading

1. The Berenstain Bears books
One of my earliest memories of myself reading is me reading one of these books. I can't remember exactly which one, all I know is that I realized I really enjoyed reading through these books.
2. The Nancy Drew series
My mom was a huge fan of the Nancy Drew mystery stories when she was a little girl, so I was pretty excited when she bought me my very first one- The Secret of the Old Clock. I loved reading about the mysteries, so that pretty much started my obsession with the series, which lasted 'til I was around twelve years old. To me, this series is like the Spice Girls of books. It's the series that'll pretty much sum up my childhood reading.
3. Charlotte's Web
I've always loved animals, so when I heard that there was a story about a pig and a spider, my little nine-year-old self just had to go and get it. I fell in love with the story! I was just amazed by the loyalty and friendship the characters had, even though they were animals. I loved the book so much, I wrote not one, but two different book reports on it.
4. The Goosebumps series
To this day, I love my horror movies. I enjoy watching movies about zombies, ghosts, and massacres. Morbid, but I really do enjoy them. This wasn't a recent development, though. I've always been a horror lover, so I read a lot of the Goosebumps books. I asked for them for my birthday, I borrowed them from my friends, I checked them out of the school library... I did anything to read the latest. My personal favorite? Cry of the Cat.
5. The Harry Potter series
I wasn't used to reading thick books the time I first read this series, so it's pretty much what introduced me to those thick hardbound books I now love. The witchcraft and magic of the book really appealed to me, and I read all seven books in the series. I am such a Harry Potter geek. I used to have all the spells memorized!
6. Fushigi Yuugi graphic novels
I don't really mention graphic novels here, but I am a huge anime fan, and I read a LOT of graphic novels. This is what started it all for me, though. I was an avid fan of the anime series, so as a gift, my mom bought me the first book. I was hooked! I already knew what was going to happen in the end (since I watched the show), but it didn't make me love the manga any less. To this day, my Fushigi Yuugi graphic novels are still considered as some of my prized possessions!
7. The Madison Finn series
I seriously loved these books! I always had to have the latest one, because I always wanted to know what would happen between Madison and Hart. I was around eleven when I started reading this, so it was my first glimpse into preteen girlhood, hahaha.
8. The Sweet Valley Twins series
I never got on the Sweet Valley Kids bandwagon, but one day I just found myself giving Sweet Valley Twins a try. The stories were far from complex, but it sure did appeal to the younger me. I was a total Elizabeth fan! She was my idol at that time! I found myself wanting to do the things she did in the books, and wearing similar outfits to the ones she wore in the covers. Embarassing? Yes. It seemed like a good idea at that time, though.
9. The Two of a Kind series
Looking back, I guess I was pretty much obsessed with twins. I don't know why, but I loved Jessica and Elizabeth, and I loved Mary-kate and Ashley. I read pretty much all of their books! Two of a Kind, The New Adventures of Mary-kate and Ashle, So Little Time, Sweet Sixteen... Yup, read them all. I'm not the biggest fan now, but I was an avid reader of their books back in the day.
10. A Walk to Remember
I fell in love with the movie when I was eleven, so I got the book, and loved it even more. It was my first Nicholas Sparks novel, and it's still my favorite out of the three I've read. This was my first "serious" book, but I really enjoyed reading it, and I still enjoy reading it now. Landon and Jamie for the win!

5 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    Great list! It's interesting to see how many of us blogging bookworms first got hooked on series. =)

    The Madison Finn books are the only ones I'm not familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww awesome list! I loved The Berenstain Bears, they were one of the first books I read by myself. And I've read ever single Sweet Valley Twins book out there. The Harry Potter series is one of my all time favorite series, I grew up with them :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the goosebumps books too! Did you ever read any of the Point Horror books? They were pretty cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you've seen any of my past lists, you would know how much I love A Walk to Remember! I am so happy to see them here :)

    And haha @ Fushigi Yuugi -- I was forced to read them when my brother and boy cousins didn't read anything else but this! I actually really liked them! :)
    Like Enbrethiliel, the only thing I don't know of are the Madison Finn books.

    Glad to have you with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting that most of the books you read here in the Philippines are incredibly popular in the US!

    Thank you for sharing this list.

    ReplyDelete