Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Review: Tweet Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick

Title: Tweet Heart
Author: Elizabeth Rudnick
Publisher: Hyperion
Release Date: June 22nd, 2010
Pages: 264

Claire is a #hopelessromantic. Lottie is determined to set up her BFF with Mr. Perfect. Will wants his #secretcrush to finally notice him. Bennett is a man with a plan.

Claire can’t believe it when her dream guy starts following her on Twitter. She never thought he noticed her, and suddenly he seems to understand her better than almost anyone.

But the Twitterverse can be a confusing place, especially when friends act differently online than they do in person. Things get even more complicated when Claire realizes she’s falling for someone else, the last person she ever would have expected…. 

 
Plot: 4/5
Creativity: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Impact: 3/5
Overall: 3/5

I am quite partial to the internet. On top of my blog and e-mail which I check everyday, I have a Facebook, a Tumblr, a deviantART, a Listography, a Twitter... You get the idea. Not a day goes by when I don't use the internet. So When I found out there was a YA novel coming out written primarily in Tweets, I knew I had to get it.

Taking place mostly in Twitterverse, Tweet Heart follows Claire and her three friends, Lottie, Will and Bennett, as they go through a portion of their junior year. Claire's had a huge crush on the school's resident heartthrob, JD Whitcomb, so when he beings following  her on Twitter and showing interest, Claire's elated- her life is finally going the way she wants it to. But are things really as good as they seem?

Instead of it being a narrative told in prose, the readers follow the events by reading the characters' Tweets before or after, and their conversations and direct messages. I loved the refreshing take on story-telling, and I found the overall presentation of the book adorable- each page is made to look like either a Twitter homepage, an e-mail, or a blog post, so that tickled the fancy of the cyber-savvy chick in me. I'm not at all well-versed in reading books with this format since I often read narratives written in prose and ocassionally poetry, but I liked that I got to look into the minds of the four characters. The story also felt real and totally believable, because teens nowadays are very active in the cyberworld. That being said, I also have to admit that the fact that the story is written the way it is made it difficult for me to build an emotional attachment to the story. I guess it's my preference for prose acting up, but I didn't feell as connected to the story as I wanted to be. It was still adorable, though, and I definitely enjoyed reading it.

The characters of the story are great. They're concrete, they're funny, they're believable, and most of all, they have their own distinct personalities. I wasn't just reading a book told in Tweets; I was browsing through pages of actual people who actually Tweeted. At least, that's what it felt like. Rudnick does a very good job of bringing her characters to life with each thing they Tweet, and this is no easy task because all of us who are remotely knowledgable about Twitter know that each post can't be longer than 140 characters. But Rudnick pulls it off and manages to allow readers to get to know her fantastic characters in the quirkiest, cutest way ever.

Cute, creative and original, Tweet Heart is an adorable yet believable love story that will appeal to the internet junkie in everyone. It's hilarious and smart and features a set of witty characters, and it's the kind of read that's sure to make readers smile. I know I did!

2 comments:

  1. Great review Erika! I have a feeling I'd feel the same way about the presentation of this story. I like the idea of a book told in this format, but I think it would hinder my ability to really connect with the characters on an emotional level. Still, it's good to know that it's a fun, enjoyable read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds unique! Fab review! I love Twitter. :) and there's this other book "Delia says OMG" I think is the title. And I think I read somewhere that it's about tweets too?

    ReplyDelete