Monday, August 2, 2010

Casting Characters (5): The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Casting Characters is a feature hosted at Erika Breathes Books that gives potential casts for books.
If you've read my review, then you probably know how head-over-heels in love I am with The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I think it's such a brilliant novel, one jam-packed with action and adventure, and I still find myself thinking about it even though I finished it days ago! So to pay respect to the fantastic book, I'm doing a Casting Characters post for it! I hope you guys enjoy this, and don't forget to tell me what you think!

Katniss Everdeen -  Willa Holland
This girl seems like one tough cookie! I saw her play Kaitlin Cooper on The OC who's, well, a pretty remarkable, strong-willed character, and I sort of had a feeling that she's brave and strong. She'd make such a fantastic Katniss! I also imagined Katniss to look like this, except with her hair in a single braid.

Peeta Mellark - William Moseley
I imagined Peeta to be this blond, unassuming boy with a gentle demeanor and kind eyes, so immediately William Moseley came to mind. He comes across as a really humble and warm kind of guy, very much like how Peeta is described. He's also not the type that's in-your-face attractive, more like the silent, subtle cuteness usually attained by the boy next door types. Although he's not very stocky, like Peeta is in the beginning of the book, he could still pass for Peeta.

Gale Hawthorne - Kevin Zegers
Gale is described to be this mature, attractive character who's wise beyond his years and the boy that girls in school flock over, so Kevin Zegers would totally pull off being Gale. He's clearly attractive enough! And Gale is supposed to look very similar to Katniss that they could pass as cousins, and I definitely think I see some similarities though they're not exactly dead-ringers for one another. Peeta's also supposed to look older, so though Kevin looks more mature, it works.

Haymitch Abernathy - Hugh Laurie
Anyone who's seen house knows that when it comes to playing dysfunctional, middle-aged men, Hugh Laurie is golden. He's snarky but witty, serious yet humorous, and clearly very knowledgeable. Haymitch may be a drunkard, but he's the mentor of the tributes of District 12, the one solely responsible for keeping them alive. He's messed up, yes, but there's no denying that Haymitch is a very wise man.

Effie Trinket - Katherine Heigl
As pretty as she may be, Katherine comes across as someone a bit bossy, and since Effie is the one who takes care of the tributes from District 12 and collaborates with Haymitch, I think Katherine will do well as her. She seems like a very professional person who takes her job seriously, and she looks like the type who could spend all day running around in heels like Effie does.  

Cinna - Jared Leto
When Cinna first appears he's described as a stylish young man with impeccable taste and gold eyeliner, and when I read his description the picture of Jared Leto popped into my head right away. He's stylish and can (obviously) pull off eyeliner, and for some reason imagining him as the fashion-forward Cinna scheming different outfits and giving presentation advice feels so natural. It's almost like he was born to be that character!


Prim - Elle Fanning
When I first saw her in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I saw such vulnerability and delicateness in her, even though she was playing the younger version of the spitfire that was Daisy. Maybe it was just her age, but she seemed so innocent and pure and uncorrupted and good-natured, like Prim. I could imagine this child milking goats, making cheese, taking care of the injured, and being all sweet and adorable already!

Rue - Jodelle Ferland
Yes, she was the creepy girl in Silent Hill. And yes, she's not this young any more. But since this feature is all about how I think characters look like, let's let this slide. There's an eerie quality about Jodelle, which I think is fitting, because the first few encounters with Rue in the story I thought she was a little off, like she'd suddenly burst and turn into some monster, but all creepiness aside she still seems like a gentle, helpless child, a lot like how Rue is.

Cato - Trevor Donovan
Cato sounds like a really big and mean killing machine. If you've seen any episode of season two of 90210, then you'll get why I think Trevor's big enough for the role. He's practically made of muscle, but not enough to be able to pass as Thresh. He also looks like a bit of a villain, and since Cato is one of the "Careers", it works well in his favor. My only worry is that he looks a bit too old to play a teenager in my opinion, but since he does in 90210, I guess it's okay.

Foxface - Shailene Woodley
I've never seen an episode of The Secret Life of an American teenager, so really, it's a surprise that Shailene even came to mind when I pictured Foxface. But I'd seen some pictures of her on the internet before, and for some reason, it just clicked. She looks quiet yet cunning, threatening in the least obvious way, plus she's got that mane of reddish hair and a face of fox-like features.

Glimmer - Candice Swanepoel
Candice is one of my biggest girl-crushes. She's gorgeous! She's got the long blond hair, the towering height, feline eyes that make girls take a hit on their own self esteems every time they see her... Glimmer is beautiful yet determined to win the games, and Candice has just the right type of look to pull off being the dazzling yet cruel Glimmer. 


Thresh - Daniel Cudmore
Daniel played Colossus on X-Men: The Last Stand and was the pick of many to play Emmett on Twilight (when the characters were still uncast), so I think we all understand how, well, HUGE Daniel must be. It's like he's this giant that's made of muscle, or something! And he's not obviously brutish or something, there's a silent quality about him, just like Thresh.  
 

13 comments:

  1. Wow! You did an awesome job! I never thought of Willa being Katniss, but I think it could work. I love your pick for Peeta. And Effie, Haymitch, and Rue are dead on in my opinion. This is really fun! Thanks for posting :) I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! I've never thought of Hugh Laurie as Haymitch, but he would be PERFECT for the role. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. These are some great choices. I especially love your picks for Rue and Peeta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very awesome Trevor Donovan for sure as Cato.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very cool! All of your picks fit the characters very well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW FUN! Loving Hugh Laurie as Haymitch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice picks - although I think Rue is brown-skinned and that Jodelle girl creeps me out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just seeing Rue's name makes me want to cry all over again.

    I like your pick for Peeta, but I always imagined him with dark skin and hair. I don't know why. Maybe it has been too long since I've read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic Picks! Thresh, Glimmer, Foxface and Effie are my favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rue is black. It is in the book :/

    ReplyDelete