Thursday, August 12, 2010

Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: March 2nd, 2010
Pages: 470
What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.
 -
Plot: 4/5
Creativity: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Impact: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

If there's a 2010 debut novel I was particularly eager to read, it was Before I Fall. Something about it, I'm not entirely sure what, just drew me to it. I loved how the premise sounded and I read so many positive reviews on it; I just knew I had to have it. Usually such high expectations lead to disappointment. Before I Fall didn't disappoint me at all, though. If anything, it made me sigh with satisfaction.

The plot starts out pretty slow, and I didn't really find myself engaged in the book until after the first few chapters. However, when things picked up, they really picked up. I couldn't put it down! All I wanted to do was lose myself in Sam's story as she repeatedly lived her last day on earth. Before I Fall offers an original and engaging story, and I was swept away by it once the pace picked up.

Initially, Sam came across to me as superficial and shallow, and even a little conceited, but as I got to know her more I was able to look into her past and see exactly why she turned out to be the way she is. Slowly, I found myself able to identify with her more and more, and by the end of the book she was a character well-loved by me. She's flawed, but she tries hard to make people think otherwise, and this characteristic of hers made her so much more believable. The other characters are the same way, too. They're all messed-up in their own ways, but their quirks and diverse personalities make them endearing and essential to the story.

I really don't know what else to say, except that Before I Fall left me feeling a full spectrum of emotions. It made me reexamine the way I've been living my life, and reminded me of one important lesson a lot of people, including myself, tend to forget- just how beautiful it is to be alive. A beautifully-crafted masterpiece of a debut, Before I Fall is an engrossing, thought-provoking novel about love, life and letting go that may just be one of the most powerful books I've read to date.

13 comments:

  1. I love your review! I have not read this book, but it on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!!!! This book has been on my list and now I want to push it closer to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review! I still haven't read this book yet... I've seen it on the shelves at the book store, but for some reason I always pass it by! I won't do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow what an amazing review Erika the fact that i just recently bought this makes me all the more excited, i have wanted to read it for so long, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I think I'll have to pick this one up. Thanks!

    -Kali.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fantastic book. I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful review! I absolutely loved Before I Fall. It's definitely one that makes you think about your actions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, I'm glad you liked it! :D

    Briana

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen a ton of hype about this book and all of it's been really good. I saw a copy in the bookstore today and now I'm really annoyed I didn't pick it up... -_- Next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review. Before I Fall is one of those books that completely lives up to the hype. One of the best reads this year.
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read this yet, but I'd like to get to it soon. Great review! Glad to know it wasn't dissapointing.

    Thanks for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just read this book a couple of weeks ago and I most definitely agree with your review. It's one of those books that I keep thinking about long after I've finished reading them and it really does make you reevaluate your own life.

    ReplyDelete