Sunday, August 1, 2010

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: October 1st, 2008
Pages: 374

Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

 -
Plot: 5/5
Creativity: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Impact: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

When I first started blogging, I remember seeing a lot of buzz about a series called Hunger Games around the blogosphere. I had no idea what it was about, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Then recently, I've been getting lots of recommendations to read The Hunger Games, so I finally picked it up a few weeks ago and wow, was I blown away. The Hunger Games completely blew my mind!

The story is set in a land that was once North America called Panem. There, most people suffer and struggle to stay alive. The twelve districts are ruled by a central state called the Capitol, who keep the citizens of each district on tight leashes and force them to compete in a yearly event called The Hunger Games. Each year, a boy and a girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen must be sent by each district to compete in the annual competition, where they have to kill and outsmart each other to stay alive.

The Hunger Games is a thrilling, phenomenal adventure of a novel that's sure to have readers at the edge of their seats. Its story is brilliantly plotted, its characters multi-layered and convincing, its writing fantastic, I had no complaints about this book. I simply could not put it down! And when I had to do so, I kept thinking about it. It was haunting.

I loved the setting of the story. It describes not only the arena but the district of the main character, Katniss, to be a very difficult place to live in, and I liked being able to stretch my imagination and imagine such a scenario for North America. Katniss' life before the competition is described to be very difficult, but I really admired  her for building a strong character and developing independence due to her rough living situations.

Katniss is a character to be admired. She's driven, she's strong, she's clever; she's got the fire that many girls long to have. There are times when she comes across too brutish, but only further reinforced her tough-as-nails exterior. But as much as I loved her character before the games, I loved her even more on the onset of the competition, and after. She develops so much as a character in the arena, I could not help but find more admiration and respect for her. Her confusing journey through romance was fantastic to read about as well.

Truth be told, Katniss is not the only character that's remarkable in the story. The cast of characters is magnificent, and each person is portrayed fantastically. I fell in love with the character of Peeta. He's adorable, the kind of boy I want to bring home to my mom! He brings out the best in Katniss, and somehow manages to break through her difficult exterior. I also loved the character of Haymitch, who had me puzzled at times but manages to pull through and do what he should in the end. Cinna too. And Rue! My heart called out to little Rue.

I could go on forever about this book, but I still would not be able to do it justice. It's action-packed and unforgettable, and it's brutal and violent in the best possible way. Undeniably one of the best books I've read so far, The Hunger Games is something that's too good to pass up. If you haven't read it yet, I strongly suggest you do- you're missing one heck of a ride!

14 comments:

  1. The Hunger Game is AMAZING. My mom read it a couple of years ago just because it sounded interesting and she passed it off to me because she thought I'd like it. I LOVED it. <3 Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of the few that has not yet read it! Ugh. Excellent review though, I'm going to pick it up soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayy!!! go peeta!! love that you enjoyed it, its an amazing read, ! great detailed review my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God. Awesome review!! :) I haven't read it yet but...my friend made me a teem Peeta girl! yay! And I see that you're reading Sing Me To Sleep. It's fab! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review :D I love Peeta so much, but Gale is so good too... It's so hard D: Hunger Games is a great series! I read it a few months ago, and it's among my favorite books that I've read thisyear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get to this book soon! Have read TOO many good reviews and I think it is about high time for me to give it a shot as well =) Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review on an outstanding book. And you're in for a treat---Catching Fire is even better, if you can believe that! And Mockingjay comes out in 22 days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you loved it! It definitely was perfectly plotted out, and the characters were amazing. Love Cinna and Rue too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THe Hunger Games is such an AMAZING book! it's a must read.<3 Rue is was sweet.

    Cant wait 4 MockingJay woot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay SO glad you liked it! Your review was practically perfect ;) I definitely agree about the wonderful cast of characters. I have a feeling you're going to just love Catching Fire as well :D

    Here from the CEP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you liked it Erika! Is it me or am I the ONLY ONE who hasn't read this series?!? LOL! Everybody seems to loooove this trilogy =)))) Great review! I loved your enthusiasm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED this book as well and can't wait to read the second one! Great review :)

    Here from the CEP.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Katniss is one of the best heroines I have read. She is so strong and selfless.
    This was a series to trily blow my mind. Hope you like the rest too!

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog (From CEP)

    ReplyDelete