Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday Three: Three Best Friend Characters I'd Love to Have As My Own


What's a main character without his or her best friend? Best friends may be secondary characters, but without them, the protagonist just wouldn't be the same. What would Katniss be without Gale? I'm pretty sure Harry would be pretty lost without Ron and Hermione, too. Sure, there are lone astronomers of main characters that fly solo, but best friends make stories so much more interesting. So to pay tribute to the awesome support systems, this week's theme for Thursday Three is Three Best Friend Characters I'd Love to Have As My Own.

Lena, Tibby, Carmen and Bridget (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants)
They're not one person, in fact there are four of them, but The Sisterhood series has no central character, so I thought it would be appropriate to put all for of these lovely ladies in one entry. Besides, you can't have one  without having the other three! Their friendship is so strong and enduring, and no matter how different the four of them are, they always have each others' backs.And they've literally been friends since they were toddlers, so they've seen each other through the toughest times and still stuck by one another. If that's not friendship, then what is?

Jas (Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging)
Georgia's nuts. Incredibly, undeniably nuts. It must take one heck of a friend to keep up with her. Though Jas may not be the brightest  bulb in the room, she's loyal to Georgia and accepts her for who she is, looniness and all. She's random, silly, and occasionally inappropriate, but her good qualities, such as her sweetness and loyalty, outweigh her flaws, and I'd totally love to have her as a friend.

Amanda (Fat Cat)
I love Amanda to bits! I swear, this girl is made of awesome. She's a poet, she's artistic, she's got an amazing but believable relationship with her boyfriend (who's an awesome friend as well), she's clever, and she's a great friend, to boot! She supports Cat in all her endeavors, whether personal or academic, and she encourages Cat to be the best she can be. All she wants is for her best friend to excel, and she'll do anything in her power, even if it means being painfully honest, to help Cat reach her full potential. She's the type of friend that pushes your boundaries but at the same time knows your limits, plus she's a lot of fun. If I were a fictional character and had my pick of who to play my best friend, it would definitely be Amanda. Goodd job, Robin Brande, for creating such a lovable character!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know the second two but I definitely agree with your first pick! Those four are always there for each other, through thick and thin. You can't replace friends like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would have to agree with you! I LOVE Amanda, and Fat Cat. What a great book, and Amanda is the perfect best friend.

    ReplyDelete