Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday Three: Three Books That Made Me Cry


I'm not an emotional person. I'm pretty warm towards others, if I may say so myself, but ask my friends, and they'll tell you I'm pretty, well, dead on the inside. Of course they have a tendency to exaggerate, but real-life situations don't really affect me emotionally. I guess I'm not really that in-touch with my feelings. However, books and movies are another thing. Fallout, break-up, failure... These things never make me cry, but a good book can cause me to weep buckets. This week, I'm sharing with you guys three books that made me cry. Not the subtle, almost pretty single tear slowly falling down a cheek- I'm talking full-on crying!

Sing Me to Sleep - Angela Morrison
I was given the opportunity to review this book a couple of months ago, and I loved it. It may be one of the most emotionally-evoking novels I've ever read. It's a kaleidoscope of emotions- there's happiness, sadness, love, grief... It's got a little bit of everything, and this roller-coaster of a love story had me in tears towards its end. It's a great romance, and if you want to get swept away, I suggest giving this one a try- and have a tissue box nearby!


Marley & Me - John Grogan
I love dogs. I always have, and I probably always will. After a stressful day of school, nothing makes me smile more than seeing my five dogs, and spending time with them. I love animals in general, but dogs to me are something else. I was given a copy of this novel for Christmas a couple of years ago, and I fell in love with it. It depicts how a couple eventually builds a family, when in the beginning all they had was themselves and an energetic, borderline destructive puppy named Marley. I'd describe it as a bit of an autobiography of the author, and a biography of Marley, his dog. Marley starts out really mischievous (he even gets kicked out of obedience school!), but he teaches John, the author, and his wife Jenny about life and family. I got a major headache from all the tears I shed as I read this novel. Practically the entire second half had me crying!

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck
This is one of my favorite older novels, along with Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird. Amazingly, I didn't read this for school, like most of my friends did- I found my mom's old copy from her teenage years a couple of summers ago, so I went ahead and read it. I love how it depicts friendship between the two most unlikely people. Of course, Steinbeck's superior writing is already a given, and the crisp imagery he's known for is also present, but it's really the premise of this one that got to me. It's heartbreaking, but it's worth the read. Mark my words and give it a try- even if you're not a fan of older novels, you won't be disappointed.

5 comments:

  1. Marley & Me made me cry too!! Also I haven't read Of Mice & Men but I have seen the play and I think I got kind of teary during that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! That dog on Marley & Me - John Grogan looks so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know it was still read in schools, a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago, I had a student (middle school) be so crushed by Of Mice and Men that she re-wrote the ending. It was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete