Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday Three: Three Quote-Worthy Books


I love quotes. Whether they're from T.V. shows, books, or real people, I love them. I love them so much, that I have a little notebook filled with quotes I've gathered from YA books alone. I don't know if it's an affinity as much as it's an obsession, but I've been religiously writing down profound passages I find in every book I read, and as a matter of fact, I've found some pretty amazing things. I'd love to share them all with you, but it would require hours of me typing and you reading and a mile-long blog post... So instead, I'll share with you three quote-worthy books that I read this year, as well as a quote from each- no spoilers! :)

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
"No matter where I look inside myself, I come across more love for him, for everything about him, for his anger as much as his tenderness- he's so alive, he makes me feel like I could take a bite out of the whole earth."

I love this book. Seriously, I love it. Once you get me started on it, I will not stop showering it with praise. It's filled with genuine teenage emotion, equal parts pain and euphoria, and with its moving, heartfelt words like the ones on the passage above and poetry so unreal, it made my spirit soar in a way I didn't know was possible. Seriously, this book is amazing. I'd quote the entire thing if I could!


Looking for Alaska by John Green
"We are as indestructible as we believe ourselves to be. When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible," with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum or our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail."

I think we all know that famous Looking for Alaska quote when the protagonist, Miles, compares Alaska to a hurricane. It's amazing, to say the least, and the best part is it's not the only amazing quote from the novel. Looking for Alaska is told in a brilliant, meaningful voice by a devoted narrator. John Green could not have crafted a more groundbreaking debut.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
"I started to think about time, and how it keeps moving and draining and flowing forever forward, seconds into minutes into days into years, all of it leading to the same place, a current running forever in one direction. And we're all swimming as fast as we can, helping it along.

My point is: maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, let it slide like coins through your fingers. So much time you can waste it.

But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know." 

One of the best 2010 debuts I've read, Before I Fall looks at death in a whole new light. It tackles the issue from a fresh, creative YA perspective, and it's got a riveting storyline, unforgettable characters, and amazing writing, to boot. This was a total eye-opener for me, and I definitely got a handful of quotes from it.

1 comment:

  1. Those are three of my favourite books. My Looking for Alaska book is full of tabs...so many great quotes!

    ReplyDelete