Monday, October 25, 2010

NaNoWriMo '10: Where we can all be crazy together.

It's a week before the start of November, and you all know what that means. That's right, folks- it's a week before this year's NaNoWriMo.

For those of you who don't know what it is (you all probably do, but just in case) NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month, which is a yearly event where writers get to throw themselves into literary abandon. But here's the challenge- they have to write a 50,000 word, 170-page novel in thirty days.

This probably sounds crazy, but I've decided to take the plunge and sign up. I've always wanted to write a novel, and this is the perfect opportunity to challenge myself, and since I know I won't be alone, it becomes so much more encouraging. A lot of great novels are NaNoWriMo babies, and really, it sounds like a whole lot of fun. Stress and schoolwork, bring it on. I'm ready to take the challenge armed with my laptop and my head full of ideas. I haven't settled on a specific idea for a story yet so I haven't done any pre-writing preparation, but I have a week, and a lot can happen between now and the first of next month.

Are you signing up for NaNoWriMo too? If you are, leave your username or add me! My NaNo name is erikabreathesbooks. Let's take this crazy journey together!

12 comments:

  1. That's great you are doing this as well! I friended you on there. My name is chris327. This is definitely going to be a crazy experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of signing up for the NaNoWriMo young writers section as I'm 13 and have always wanted to write a novel but thought that I couldn't because I'm only young. I might start a bit earlier in the school holidays and adjust my finishing date accordingly as I get really busy with school.
    Good luck with your novel, what are your ideas for it so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina - You bet it is! Let's get through this one together :D

    Stephanie - I say give it a go! It's definitely worth a shot :) And thank you! I'm still a little torn between writing a YA paranormal or a YA contemporary, it's insane! I've been thinking about it for days but I'm nowhere near deciding. I'm so fickle :|

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's cool--I just posted about NNWM today, too. It seems lots of people have been, since there's only a week left to go! I'm missing the first two and a half days (though since I'm Aussie, it's more like one and three quarters) because I have an exam on Wednesday.

    I'm adding you now. I'm nuts--I have lots of time to spare, and so I thought it'd be sane to write a novel. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll definitely try, I guess jumping in the deep end and taking the plunge is what it's all about.
    They are both really popular genres although some people are getting a little bit fed up of the paranormal craze. I have to admit I have never tried the paranormal genre before but I will soon as I got a review copy of one.
    I say go with what you feel most comofrtable with and which is the most original. I'm sure that lots of other NaNoWriMo participants are feeling exactly the same way.
    I'm thinking of making mine about a victorian maid, it's an idea I've had for ages and its my favourite era. Shame that a lot of my ideas have been done in a historical drama running at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erika, I'm doing NaNo too this year! You can add me, my username is Chelly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am signed up but getting doubtful about actually doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I added you as a buddy :) It's my very first year and I'm REALLY excited!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I signed up and am also not really ready yet. LOL This is my first time doing NaNo too! GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck! I'm not signed up, but I plan to write more in Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've signed up and it's my first time doing it as well. I am overwhelmed already! I'll look for you there (I'm ThatJustHappened). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete