Saturday, October 2, 2010

Review: DupliKate by Cherry Cheva

Title: DupliKate
Author: Cherry Cheva
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: September 29th, 2009
Pages: 256
Getting into Yale has been Kate Larson’s dream for years—and being overworked and under-rested is the price of admission. But when she opens her eyes after falling asleep on her keyboard one night, she comes face-to-face with, well, herself.

Meet Kate’s computer-generated twin. Kate doesn’t know why she’s here or how to put her back where she belongs, but she’s real. And she’s the last thing Kate has time to deal with right now. Unless. . .could having a double be the answer to Kate’s prayers?
-
Plot: 4/5
Creativity: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Impact: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Kate Larson can do anything. She's on the yearbook committee and the prom committee with a 4.1 GPA and a hot boyfriend to boot, and she's got it all under control. Or so it seems. With the semester drawing to a close, she's got way more than she can handle on her plate. So when she wakes up and finds a computer-generated clone of herself, her life's bound to get easier... right?

A light read with a little bit of humor and a whole lot of heart, DupliKate is an enjoyable novel with a quirky story every teenager who's ever been under stress will be able to identify with. It features a plot that's very easy to relate to and a fun protagonist with a (very) frivolous clone; every page will get a chuckle out of you.

I could totally identify with Kate. She's a little bit of an obsessive-compulsive academic control freak, but I could not help but sympathize with her. Being a student myself, I know I've had more than my fair share of hell weeks. She's also pretty fun, and Rina, her clone, brings out that side of her. The friendship that blooms between the two as the story progresses is adorable, and I couldn't help but smile at the scenes where they bonded.

The character development is great. Kate starts the story coming off as one-dimensional, but through her experiences with Rina, she learns more about herself and becomes an even stronger character.

I also really enjoyed the to-do lists of Kate shown in the novel. I'm one of those people who live for organization, so it was a lot of fun reading Kate's impossible goals.

Hilarious and impossible to put down, DupliKate is a novel that will speak to all the sleep-deprived teenage girls out there. It's light and fun, and yes, it doesn't offer the deepest, most emotional story, but underneath the humor is a meaningful message. Cheva does it once again with this light-hearted novel, and I can't wait to read more of her work.

3 comments:

  1. This one sounds like fun - I hadn't heard of it before now! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one sitting in my TBR pile. I won it from a contest a few months ago. After reading your review I'm moving it to the top of the pile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like a fun book to read. I'll have to add it to my order for my HS Media Center. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete