Monday, November 1, 2010

Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: McElderry Books
Release Date: March 24th, 2009
Pages: 541
To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?
 -
Plot: 5/5
Creativity: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Impact: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

In this third installment to The Mortal Instruments series, Clary Fray continues her adventure to learn more about the world of Shadowhunters. Picking up where the last book left off, Clary must travel to Idris to find the antidote for her mother's self-imposed coma. But as she discovers more about Idris and her family's history, she meets a  few people along the way. With Valentine's men lurking in places that were once deemed to be safe, just who can Clary trust?

City of Glass gripped me from the very beginning. As soon as I turned the first page, it was constantly on my mind. I'm not exaggerating- every time I put it down, all I could think of was when I could start reading it again. I was so enthralled by the story, dying to see more of the twists and turns Clare so cleverly weaves through her writing. It was like crack to me, and I mean that in the best possible way.

This was initially supposed to be the conclusion to a trilogy, so that being said, it's expected that everything, from the emotions to the action to the drama, is exponentially greater than they are in the first two books, and let me tell you, they are. This is the kind of book that will have you biting your nails to the quick because it's just so intense! The intensity is evened out by the witty dialogue and the hilarious remarks that seem to spew out of the characters during the most unexpected times, though, so the novel still strikes a perfect balance between grittily captivating and humorously light.

The character development in this novel upstages the ones from the previous novels. I did not think that Clare could add any more dimension and depth to the characters she so skillfully molded in the first two books, but she did. The characters return in City of Glass with even more facets to their distinct personalities. Each one of them, Clary and Jace especially, experience so much confusion, anguish, pain, love- there's an entire spectrum of emotion present in each character, and they all shine. Not one person or Downworlder goes underdeveloped in this novel, and it's precisely Clare's eye for detail that makes you feel a connection to every character, whether villain or protagonist.

There are still a lot of people who haven't read the series yet, or have only read the first book, so I don't want to reveal something unintentionally by blabbering on. But let me leave you with this: City of Glass is a brilliant rollercoaster of a novel that will leave no reader unshaken. It's the perfect conclusion to a trilogy, but I'm even happier that the series has been extended, because like Stephenie Meyer said in her review of the first novel, The Mortal Instruments series is a world I'd love to get lost in.

5 comments:

  1. Great review :p

    I'm crazy about Jace <3 !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so now your review REALLY makes me want to read it now. I've been seeing so much positive reviews on this series-- but I still don't the books in my hands yet! Lol. Thanks for your awesome review, Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is by far my favorite book of the MI series thus far. I can't wait to see what happens in "City of Fallen Angels". I miss the crew already! Btw, "Clockwork Angel" is also very good. Be sure to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this series of books... I think I'll add the 1st book to my Christmas list and go from there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more, the MI series is absolutely wonderful, as are your reviews. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete