Friday, November 26, 2010

Review: Do Tampons Take Your Virginity?: A Catholic Girl's Memoir

Title: Do Tampons Take Your Virginity?: A Catholic Girl's Memoir
Author: Marie Simas
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: September 25th, 2010
Pages: 164

Overall: 5/5

Let me start off by saying never in my life have I reviewed a non-fiction book. I work primarily with YA, so I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to reviewing memoirs. Being based on true events, I can't judge the book on its plot or creativity, so just this once, I'm abandoning my trusty review criteria.

A raw, painfully honest memoir, Do Tampons Take Your Virginity? tells the story the author's conservative Catholic upbringing. Filled with recollections ranging from funny to sad to endearing, it's a story that spans thirty-something years, but one that is never dull.

Simas fearlessly shares the details of her childhood, from her abusive father to her mother's sickness to her wild teenage years. Some parts are shocking, and one moment things are all good then they take a turn for the worse, but ultimately, Do Tampons Take Your Virginity? is a real, true-to-the-core story of religion, family, and how one girl finds strength within herself.

This isn't my typical read, but I am glad that I read it- so glad, I devoured it in one sitting! I felt a whole array of emotions stirring within me while reading it, but ultimately, I felt hopeful. This book just has that effect, that elusive one that has you feeling better about the world. I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers because of some mature subject matter, I strongly suggest you give it a try, too. You just might be pleasantly surprised by the uplifting story lurking beneath the surface of a tough story.

*A very special thank you goes out to Kristina of Frazzled Book Nommer, for holding the contest by which I was able to get a copy of this book.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I never heard of this book before. I read memoirs, but nothing like this! It does sounds very interesting and tough. Good to hear that it got a real message in it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful, uplifting story. I'm definitely going to check this one out. Great review Erika!
    I also must say the title totally caught my attention! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erika, thank you so much for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I've linked to this review on my blog, so my followers can come by and read it.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you hit the nail on the head, Erika-it is hopeful at the core-some can take a detour when it gets really tragic, but it's hopeful and touching too.

    Great blog, btw!

    ReplyDelete