Friday, December 31, 2010

Erika Breathes Books Awards 2010

This has been an amazing year in books. Although there were some disappointments, a vast majority of the books I read were good, and I mean really good. That being said, I thought it would be appropriate to give special mention to those books that were a step above the rest, books that were on leagues of their own. So I came up with the first annual Erika Breathes Books Awards! There are various categories, so there will be quite a lot of books that make it to the list. Fear not, though- they're all truly awesome!

Note, however, that not all these are 2010 releases. I read a lot of books that were released before the year and some of them were amazing, so I thought they deserved to be included in the judging. So every annual awarding, I'll be considering books that I read that year, regardless of the release date. 

Now on to the awards!

Best Comedy
The DUFF by Kody Keplinger
Not only is this book a 2010 debut by a teen author (talk about an achievement!), it's one of the funniest books I've read to date. It's charmingly sarcastic and witty, and most of all, it's realistic. It'll have you laughing a mile a minute with its hilarity, but still keep you grounded with its authenticity. Keplinger totally knows how teenagers operate!

Best Tearjerker
Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison
Deeply moving and emotional, this story had me crying buckets! I kid you not, I was a mess at the end of it. No YA novel has ever made me cry the way this one did.

Best Romance
Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
Sexy. Steamy. Passionate. Need I say more? Perfect Chemistry is an interesting modern take on the classic Romeo and Juliet story, and one that I love oh-so-much. This book, with its against-all-odds romance and lovable protagonists, had me sighing all throughout!

Best Summer Read
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
A charming, coming-of-age story with a dash of poignance and a lot of heart, Twenty Boy Summer, to me, was the ultimate summery read of the year. Featuring a beautiful story of love, loss, and friendship, this is the kind of summer story that you'll want to read the whole year round.

Best Cover
Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
I cannot gush enough about this cover! I love the silhouette, the wings, the overall feel of it... It's just too pretty for words! And it doesn't hurt that it contains a lovely story within it, too.

Best-Written
Looking for Alaska by John Green
This was my first attempt at reading John Green, and from the very first chapter, Green had me proclaiming my love for him. Honest, witty and riveting, his writing is just pure genius! The way he makes the story pop out of the page is just amazing. The descriptions, the notions, the dialogue, all of it is spot-on. It's never too much or too little. Just perfect, and to be able to find a book with writing like that is a very rare thing.

Best Series
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
and
The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Both of these are so good and series I keep close to my heart, I simply couldn't choose one. The Hunger Games is an epic dystopian series that touches on topics varying from love to corruption, and I think they're very eye-opening and important; and The Mortal Instruments is a thrilling fantasy series with a gorgeous world I would love to live in, demons and all. Both are wonderful in different ways, so I had to make this a tie!

Best Debut

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me when I say that Lauren Oliver really put herself on the YA fiction map with her debut. A memorable and wonderfully-written story that reflects on life after death, Before I Fall is something that will have you lost in its pages but at the same time, have you thinking about life, about how you're living yours and whether or not you want to change. Before I Fall really got to me, and now I can't wait to read Oliver's second book, Delirium!

Novel of the Year
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
This book is all sorts of lovely! With its poignant plot, quirky characters, fluid writing and resonating narration, it is deserving of this title, at least to me. I fell in love with this book, and it is the first thing that comes to mind when I'm asked what my favorite book of the year was. One of the best contemporary YA novels I've ever read!

6 comments:

  1. I love your picks! I agree with the romance in Perfect Chemistry - it's, well, perfect! I've been meaning to read Twenty Boy Summer for the longest time, so will put it on my summer reading list for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I'm not really sure if I consider The DUFF a comedy, though--I think I would give that title to one of John Green pieces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously have to agree to a lot of that! Especially THE DUFF... well, more of contemporary. It is THE BEST contemporary novel I've EVER read. It's freaking amazing. Love the awards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea. Thanks for all the wonderful reviews.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I like the awards idea! Do you follow Write Meg? Her blog is AWESOME and her wrap-up post followed a similar idea of award categories: http://writemeg.com/2010/12/27/write-megs-2010-reading-honors/

    I STILL haven't read anything by Simone Elkeles. Remedying that should be one of my New Year's resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erika, I love these awards!
    I'm so glad The DUFF and Perfect Chemistry made it on here! Okay I'm actually really glad almost ALL of these made it on here! We definitely have similar tastes in books!
    I definitely need to read Looking for Alaska and Before I Fall. :)

    ReplyDelete