Saturday, December 4, 2010

Review: My Name is Memory by Anne Brashares

Title: My Name is Memory
Author: Anne Brashares
Publisher: Riverhead
Release Date: June 1st, 2010
Pages: 324
Daniel has spent centuries falling in love with the same girl. Life after life, crossing continents and dynasties, he and Sophia (despite her changing name and form) have been drawn together, and he remembers it all. Daniel has "the memory", the ability to recall past lives and recognize souls of those he's previously known. It is a gift and a curse. For all the times that he and Sophia have been drawn together throughout history, they have also been torn painfully, fatally, apart. A love always too short.
Interwoven through Sophia and Daniel's unfolding present day relationship are glimpses of their expansive history together.

From 552 Asia Minor to 1918 England and 1972 Virginia, the two souls share a long and sometimes torturous path of seeking each other time and time again. But just when young Sophia (now "Lucy" in the present) finally begins to awaken to the secret of their shared past, to understand the true reason for the strength of their attraction, the mysterious force that has always torn them apart reappears. Ultimately, they must come to understand what stands in the way of their love if they are ever to spend a lifetime together.

Plot: 3/5
Creativity: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Impact: 3/5
Overall: 3/5

Everyone wants a happily ever after. But what if the story spans for thousands of years, and the fairy-tale ending takes lifetimes to achieve?

Daniel has been in love with Sophia since his very first life. From the moment he laid eyes on her, he felt an unshakable call towards her, and he became determined to look for her in every life he has, until they can finally be together. But Sophia doesn't have the memory the way Daniel does. Will his love and determination be enough to finally make her remember?

My Name is Memory is a unique, poignant love story that defies the limitations of death. It tells the story of a man's unwavering devotion to his beloved, and the measures he would go through just to be with her, even if it means waiting hundreds of years at a time. Initially, I was drawn by the premise of repeatedly unrequited love- I'm a sucker for epic love stories, and this one sounded like it had the potential to be one of those.

I was pretty pleased with the story, but I didn't feel as strong a connection with the characters. I expected Daniel to be a shining protagonist, but for some reason, there were times that he just fell flat to me, even in the parts of the story that were narrated by him. It wasn't that he was a dull character. I guess I just wanted there to be more dimension to him.

Besides the occasionally lackluster protagonist, My Name is Memory is a bittersweet love story that I would recommend. It brings something different to the table, and fans of books like The Time Traveler's Wife are sure to gobble it up. I honestly think the ending could have been better, but I can see why Brashares concluded things the way she did. It wasn't a read that had me jumping up and down, but I did still enjoy it. It's got undeniably beautiful writing and a refreshing premise, and it'll definitely be worth your while to read.

3 comments:

  1. Great, great review! Do you think I should read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ths reminds me of 'The Eternal Ones' because the plot sounds similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually loved this one (even though I am not a fan of The Time-Traveller's Wife). I've read a few so-so reviews for this one, but I just can't wait for the next book in this series!

    ReplyDelete