Saturday, January 15, 2011

Review: Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Title: Nightshade (Nightshade #1)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Release Date: October 19th, 2010
Pages: 452
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
-
Plot: 5/5
Creativity: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Impact: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

Exhilarating, romantic and tension-ridden, Nightshade marks the beginning of a promising new paranormal series.

In a world where humans take the backseat and wolves answer to a terrifyingly powerful group called The Keepers, Calla Tor has always known who she was: alpha of the Nightshade pack, committed to protecting her packmates and watching over the sacred sites, not to mention future bride of dark, brooding Ren, the Bane pack's alpha wolf. But a few weeks before her and Ren's union, Calla saves the life of a human boy, Shay, despite all her instincts telling her otherwise, and days later, he shows up at her school. She feels an inexplicable towards Shay, and as they begin to spend more time together, she realizes their worlds are more connected than The Keepers are letting on. Determined to find out the truth, the two go against the rules and begin to research on the world of Guardians and Keepers, and slowly, everything Calla knew about herself and her kind begins to fall apart.

This book is all-around amazing, but one of the things that really stood out to me was the plot. Brilliantly paced, it made me tear through the pages and keep on reading. Never was there a dull moment for me in this book- even during the more mellow, tender parts. In fact, those emotional, romantic scenes between the characters were my favorite!

I was also amazed by the setting and how Cremer incorporated the world-building with the pacing of the story. At first, I knew very little about the Guardians and the Keepers, but as the story progressed, the haze began to clear up. I found that I appreciated this more, gradual world-building as opposed to a one time big time revelation, because it amplified the air of mystery and kept me reading. This book was pretty much impossible for me to put down.

Now the romance in this novel, that's another thing that deserves paragraphs worth of discussion. The tension between Calla and Shay and Calla and Ren is so palpable, you can practically see its thickness and taste its intensity. Ren and Shay are such opposites, and each of them brings out a different side of Calla. One's a passionate hurricane, while one is patient and tender, but both are just as sincere. How's a girl to choose?!

Wonderfully exciting, Nightshade is a debut of an author to watch out for. It's more than just a paranormal romance with a love triangle- this book has a concrete story and an enchanting world full of secrets and mysteries. It will have you hooked.

6 comments:

  1. So agree with you! I loved Nightshade! And, I totally can't wait for WOLFSBANE! Team Shay, ftw!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get this book asap. Great review. It sounds totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! This sounds so great! But I'm still hesitant to read it. I've read some not-so-good reviews...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED it! I cannot wait for the next book in this series. I agree that this author is one to watch. I love her writing and her characters. Thanks for your review.

    Here from the CEP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read this one! I'm in dire need of a good world-building book! And seriously, this cover is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a 5 star for me too! You're right about the world building. It all revealed itself so perfectly. Wolfsbane can't come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete